Stone Old Alleynians 3-3 Wellington

Stone made it eight games unbeaten after battling back to earn a draw with high-flying Wellington, but it could have been a much better result for the hosts who had twice led.

Old Boys manager Matt Smith was left frustrated by his side’s eleventh draw of the campaign: “I’m disappointed with a draw as we were looking for back-to-back wins, especially with taking the lead twice. But again we showed the resilience that we have shown since Christmas to battle back which is a positive. We are scoring more freely now, but it is at the expense of defending properly so we need to try and address that.”

The hosts took a deserved lead early in the first half when Sam Wilson was on hand to poke home Danny Heard’s header from a Cameron Sinclair corner.

Alleynians 1st goal Sam Wilson (centre) congratulated by Ryan Fox (11).jpg
Sam Wilson (middle left) celebrates opening the scoring

However Wellington got themselves level midway through the half after a jinking run by Paul Jones allowed him to tee up Josh Hunt, who saw his shot saved by Cameron Bliss before Matt Williams smashed the rebound in off the bar.

Stone skipper Paul Griffiths was inches away from reaching Matt Thomas’s cross after the striker had burst free down the left, before Adam Heath latched onto the loose ball but fired his shot over.

The Old Boys did regain the lead before the break though. Wilson latched onto Sinclair’s chipped pass before setting the ball to Thomas who passed the ball low into the bottom corner, beyond the reach of Matt Apperley.

Wellington returned from the break with a purpose, and got their equaliser when left-back Luke Winter rose unmarked at the far post to head home Dave Price’s cross from deep.

They then got themselves ahead after Matt Williams broke free down the left and squared the ball to Paul Jones who calmly rolled the ball home.

Matt Thomas shoots - late chance 2 - keeper saves.jpg
Matt Thomas’s (10) late effort is saved 

Alleynians managed to find themselves a route back into the game, albeit against the run of play, when Danny Heard sent Matt Thomas clear, and the striker grabbed his second goal of the game, finishing past Apperley.

Both side’s had chances late on to grab a winner, but Josh Hunt wasted his effort from 10-yards for the visitors, before Matt Thomas saw his left-foot shot well held by Apperley and Sam Wilson’s breakaway was halted by a recovering defender as the midfield man looked to square the ball to substitute George Askey.

Stone OA: Bliss, Heath, Jones (Pope), Whalley, Hewitt, Griffiths (c), Sinclair (Askey), Wilson, Fox, Heard, Thomas