Stone Old Alleynians 1-1 Bewdley Town

The Old Boys could only manage a share of the points after a late equaliser from the visitors cancelled out Carl Dibden’s second half penalty in a testing encounter at Wellbeing Park as both sides showed signs of the festive break.

Manager Matt Smith felt both side’s got what they deserved:”A draw was probably a fair result, the first competitive game after Christmas isn’t always the best in terms of quality, but having taken the lead late on we are disappointed we couldn’t see it out.”

Alleynians thought they had taken an early lead when Jimmy Lee and Sam Wilson linked up well to send the latter through on goal, but the hosts were denied by the linesmans flag after Wilson had rolled the ball into the back of the net.

Bewdley then suffered the same fate when Lewis Pountney headed home a cross from Ellis Stubbins at the far post midway through the half.

McEleny tips one over.jpg
McEleney tips Liam Williams’ free-kick over the bar

Brandon McEleney was on hand to tip Liam Williams free-kick over the bar after Pountney was fouled on the edge of the Alleynians box.

Whilst Alleynians best chance of the half came when Danny Heard headed narrowly wide of the far post from Matt Thomas’s cross.

The visitors started brightly in the second half, and came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock midway through the half when Calum Martin pounced on indecision in the Old Boys backline but saw his shot come back off the post.

Stone thrived after their lifeline, and a slick move down the left saw Wilson find space in the box, only for him to be bundled over by goalkeeper Nathan Drew. Substitute Carl Dibden stepped up and confidently dispatched the penalty.

The hosts looked like they would hold on to all three points, but in the dying stages, a clever flick from Pountney played in Jason Wellings, who earned his side a share of the points.

Stone OA: McEleney, Hewitt, Whalley (Dibden), Heath, Davies, Wilson, Sinclair, Lee, Griffiths (c) (Fox), Heard, Thomas (Kay)