Wellington 3-1 Stone Old Alleynians
The Old Boys slipped to their first league defeat in five games when they went down to a three-one defeat on the road at Herefordshire side Wellington. Despite dominating for large periods, a poor twenty minute spell late in the first-half saw the visitors concede three goals which ultimately proved their undoing.

Alleynians manager Matt Smith felt that his side had let themselves down after their recent run of good form: “I’m really disappointed with the result, it’s a big setback for us after how well we have done recently, and one that wasn’t expected. It’s ridiculous the position we found ourselves in at half time after dominating the opening half hour. But we have a run of home games now up to Christmas so it’s important that we make the most of them.”

Teenage striker Jack Tomlinson had Stone’s first chance when he was sent clear but shot straight at keeper Matt Apperley, and it was the same outcome when the ball dropped for Tomlinson on the edge of the box but his volley was easily saved. 

Danny Heard saw a shot go agonisingly wide when we wriggled himself into some space on the edge of the box, before Alex Kay was unable to keep his effort on target from Adam Heath’s deep cross.

The hosts then made their visitors pay for their wastefulness when they capitalised on some indecision in the Alleynians defence. Paul Jones pounced on an undealt with long ball before finishing past Brandon McEleny. 

Wellington double their lead from the spot

It got worse for the Old Boys when Wellington were given a penalty after Adam Heath brought down Josh Hunt inside the box, and Hunt picked himself up to score from 12-yards. 

And the Stone task got even harder when Jones latched onto a through-ball before calmly rolling the ball into the back of the net. 

Tomlinson came close to giving his side some late first-half optimism but could only poke Danny Heard’s knock down wide of the goal. 

Alleynians upped the tempo in the second half with Ollie Davies causing problems down the left wing but Stone were unable to turn their domination into goals.

Ollie Davies attacks

It took the introduction of Matt Thomas to provide the opening that the Old Boys needed, his flick-on was in turn headed into the path of Tomlinson who lobbed the ball over the onrushing Apperley. 

The hosts were nearly rewarded for their resolute defending with a goal on the break, but Hunt’s effort came back off the post after he had beaten Stone goalkeeper McEleny to a clearance. 

Stone could have been punished by further counter attacks as they pushed forward, but should have also reduced the deficit themselves. Sam Wilson had their best effort late on when he met substitute James Cresswell’s cross, but saw his header come back off the bar.


Stone OA: McEleny, Hewitt (Cresswell), Dibden (Fox), Wilson, Heath, Davies, Pope (Thomas), Sinclair (c), Kay, Heard, Tomlinson.    Unused: Griffiths