Wolverhampton Casuals 3-1 Stone Old Alleynians

Stone Old Alleynians poor run of form continued as they went down at Wolverhampton Casuals to make it six games without a win, despite taking an early lead through left-back Ollie Davies.

A lacklustre display after going ahead left Matt Smith unimpressed with the way that his side handed over the ascendancy once they had got their noses in front: “We had a very good start to the game but then for some reason we just stopped competing, and once they got on top we never got back into the game. It was a poor performance from us and a bad game to lose, but we have another game on Tuesday which is a great chance for us to put things right.”

Ollie Davies goalscorer.jpg
Ollie Davies opened the scoring for Stone

Davies opened the scoring after a good passing move from the visitors allowed Danny Heard to play in the full-back, who confidently volleyed home. And the visitors could have doubled their lead as their early dominance saw them create a number of chances, including a Matt Thomas effort that was acrobatically blocked on the line.

But the hosts forced the scores level when Ashley Evans reacted fastest to a Brandon McEleny save to head home the equaliser.

The goal proved a turning point as the Casuals got a foothold in the game and began to fashion chances. It took an excellent tackle from keeper McEleny to deny Ian Boswell who had been sent clear, before Fabian Facey put his side in front with a fierce shot from the edge of the box that went in via the cross bar.

McEleny saves a certain goal 4.jpg
Brandon McEleny’s last ditch tackle

The home side controlled the game after the break too, and extended their lead through the dangerous Boswell.

Smith threw caution to the wind with a triple substitution, and the introduction of the lively Jimmy Lee caused the Casuals problems but the Old Boys were unable to find the breakthrough.

Stone OA: McEleny, Cresswell, Pope (Chilvers), Heath, Davies, Sinclair, Griffiths (c) (Devaney), Norford, Kay (Lee), Thomas, Heard