Tipton Town 1-1 Stone Old Alleynians

A lack of a cutting edge cost the Old Boys two points, as they were held by basement side Tipton Town. The hosts who are without a win this season, fought back after Danny Heard’s first half opener, but the visitors will be disappointed after spurning several chances to secure a fourth straight win.

Manager Matt Smith was left disappointed with his side’s efforts: “It was a poor result, and we struggled to get the second goal which would have clinched the game. The performance came as a bit of a surprise after how well we have done in the last three games.” said Smith.

Chances were hard to come by in the opening exchanges, but it was Grant Bigham who had the first real opportunity when he met Billy Thorley’s cross at the far post, but was unable to get his header on target.

Bigham was again involved when he jinked his way into the box but nobody was on hand to turn home his driven cross, which flashed across the six-yard box.

The Old Boys went in front through Danny Heard; Carl Dibden laid the ball off to the striker from a free-kick, and the front-man drilled the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Sam Wilson went agonisingly close to extending the lead on the brink of half-time, his shot cannoning off the crossbar.

Alex Kay also went close to making it two after the break, Adam Heath’s header was cleared off the line, but Kay was unable to get to the rebound before the ball bounced out of play.

Tipton gave their visitors a warning to not waste their opportunities when Ravi Sangha controlled the ball in the box and drilled his shot narrowly wide of the far post.

And they then punished Alleynians for their wastefulness as Montell Brown raced clear of the Stone defence and finished past Matt Burslem.

The Old Boys rallied late on in search of a winner but had to settle for a point.

Stone OA: Burslem, Heath, Dibden, Whalley, Sinclair, B Thorley, Wilson, Griffiths (c)(Renshaw), Bigham (Thomas), Kay (G Askey), Heard