Stone Old Alleynians 1-3 Bewdley Town

A disappointing second-half display saw the Old Boys slip to their fourth straight defeat, as visitors Bewdley battled back from being a goal down at half-time to take all three points at Wellbeing Park.

It was a performance that left manager Matt Smith disappointed and frustrated: “To put in the display that we did in the first half, where we should have been three or four up, and then follow that up with what we did in the second half is really something.” Smith said.

“In the second half we just invited so much pressure. We struggled to clear our lines and eventually we cracked.”

“They have come off at the end delighted, saying what a good footballing team we are, but if we can’t do the ugly bits of the game and be willing to be a bit nasty, then playing good football is irrelevant.” Added Smith.

Grant Bigham linked up well with Paul Griffiths down the right-hand side to create Stone’s first chance, but Bigham shot tamely at Darren Steadman in the Bewdley goal when he jinked in to the box.

Bigham was again the architect when Griffiths went close. The right-back’s cross was headed down into the path of the skipper by Danny Heard, but the ball took an age to drop, and the recovering defenders put Griffiths off just enough to make his shot easy for Steadman to save.

Sam Wilson should have scored when he found himself unmarked in the box but put his shot narrowly wide when an Ollie Davies cross picked him out.

Kay gets through.jpg
Alex Kay denied

And then Alex Kay was prevented from opening the scoring by a last ditch tackle after he had rounded the keeper.

But Alleynians did eventually find the breakthrough shortly before half-time. Davies found himself in acres of space on the left wing and squared the ball to Heard who calmly tucked the ball into the back of the net.

The visitors had rarely threatened the host’s goal in the first half, but were level inside ten minutes of the second. Tom Connolly rose highest to head home a Jon Seekings corner.

Bewdley goal 1
Tom Connolly heads Bewdley level

Seekings then scored directly from the next corner to put his side in front.

Danny Heard was unfortunate not to level the scores, but his header was well saved by Steadman when he met a Cameron Sinclair cross.

The visitors then punished Stone for their earlier wastefulness, as Tom Connolly swept the ball past Matt Pontin after a cleared free-kick had been returned into the box.

Stone OA: Pontin, Bigham, Heath (Dibden), Whalley, Davies, Griffiths (c) (Lewis), Sinclair, Wilson, Thomas, Heard, Kay