Stone Old Alleynians 2-1 Wellington 

A last gasp Ollie Davies winner secured all three points for the Old Boys in a wind-ravaged game at Wellbeing Park. The left back finishing a break that he started, after the visitors had looked to have snatched a point when they levelled the scores from the penalty spot.

Alleynians manager Matt Smith was impressed with how his side adapted to the difficult conditions: “It was a great win, especially in tricky conditions with the wind, but we adjusted well. We wanted to follow up last week’s win and I was really happy with our performance and we probably deserved to win more comfortably.” He said.

“Wellington didn’t really threaten us until the officials got involved, I still don’t quite know what he has sent Wils (Sam Wilson) off for. And that is one of the most ridiculous penalties I have ever seen, I think they were as shocked as we were when he awarded it.”

“But even with ten men we defended well and restricted them to few chances and we looked dangerous on the break. Ollie Davies was the best player on the pitch today and deserved his goal.” Added Smith.

The swirling winds made for difficult football conditions, but a high tempo start from the hosts saw them have the better of the early exchanges.

Cameron Sinclair should have scored when a quick Alex Kay free-kick sent him through on goal, but the midfielder hit his shot straight at the keeper. And then Sam Wilson saw his effort go over the bar as he stretched to meet Ollie Davies’ left wing cross.

Kay then hit his shot straight at Matt Apperley in the Wellington goal after Sinclair had pinched the ball high up the pitch.

The visitors spurned a great chance to open the scoring just before half-time when some slack marking in the Old Boys defence saw the ball drop to Matt Williams but he volleyed his effort over.

Wellington attack
Wellington’s Matt Williams volleys over

Wilson then atoned for his earlier miss, in what would become an incident-filled second-half for the midfielder. Danny Heard’s pass found Kay in the box, and Wilson was on hand to scramble the ball home, when Apperley parried Kay’s initial shot.

Wilson was then booked, along with Wellington midfielder Adam Newbury after a fifty-fifty tackle, much to the bemusement of both sides.

Ollie Davies was inches away from doubling his team’s lead, when a jinking run that started inside his own half lead to his curling effort striking the foot of the post.

Wilson booking No.2 - disbelief
Disbelief as Sam Wilson (hidden) is dismissed

Wilson’s afternoon then ended in controversial fashion, when he received a second yellow card for an innocuous looking tackle on the half-way line, which then lead to the referee also dismissing manager Matt Smith, Director of Football Bob Askey, and substitute Matt Thomas for their protests.

A change of shape from the visitors lead to their best chance of an equaliser, but Josh Hunt’s shot went just over the bar.

The referee then offered Wellington a lifeline when he awarded a penalty with 10 minutes to go, punishing Adam Heath for a push in the back. And substitute Paul Jones sent Matt Burslem the wrong way.

Wellington pen 3 - goal
Paul Jones sends Matt Burslem the wrong way

Sensing the chance to grab all three points Wellington pushed on, but Davies hit with them a sucker punch when he linked up with Heard and poked the ball past Apperley for the winner.

There was still time for the referee to show his red card again, when he sent off Wellington striker Hunt, after he tangled with Matt Bainbridge.

Stone OA: Burslem, Heath, Askey, Whalley, Davies, Sinclair, Wilson, Bainbridge, Griffiths (c)(Lewis)(Bigham), Heard, Kay