Stone Old Alleynians 2-1 Willenhall Town

The Old Boys battled back from a goal down to secure a hard-fought win at home to fellow mid-table side Willenhall Town. Goals from Ollie Davies and Alex Kay came after the visitors had opened the scoring through Matthew Dorgan.

Manager Matt Smith was impressed by the qualities shown by his side: “I’m really happy with the win and how we played today, having gone behind and to have turned it around by half time really showed our character.”

“We had a few chances to kill the game off in the second half, they were really pressing for the equaliser and we were carrying some injuries, but we held strong. And that’s two wins in four days having won in the cup on Wednesday night so I can’t ask for more.” he added.

Willenhall started brightly, and forced two early saves out of Matt Burslem, and deservedly took the lead when a ball into the Stone box dropped to Matthew Dorgan ten yards out, who volleyed the ball into the bottom corner.

The goal shook the Old Boys into life, Alex Kay came close when his bustling run lead to a snap shot, but Ben Holden in the visitors goal was equal to it.

It didn’t take long however for Alleynians to draw level, a kick from Burslem was flicked on by a Willenhall defender into the path of Ollie Davies, who raced clear before calmly slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

Davies then turned provider just before half time, his clipped pass into the left channel was met by Kay, who moved into the box and rolled the ball under the onrushing keeper.

The Old Boys dropped deeper in the second half, determined to preserve their lead, and managed to limit the number of chances that the visitors had. Willenhall did have the ball in the back of the net, but only after the whistle had been blown for a push on a Stone defender.

Substitute Carl Dibden came close to extending the home side’s lead following good play from Danny Heard, who jinked his way into the box before cutting the ball back to Dibden, but he was unable to keep his shot on target.

The visitors thought that they had snatched a point late on when a cross from the right was turned home by a Willenhall player, but the referee adjudged that he had unfairly kicked the ball from the hands of Burslem, as the Old Boys held on to all three points.

Stone OA: Burslem, Bigham (Thomas), Whalley, Askey, Heath, Davies, Sinclair, Bainbridge, Griffiths (c), Kay (Dibden), Heard