Stone Old Alleynians 4-2 Tipton Town 

The Old Boys managed to avoid any upsets, scoring four goals, as they saw off basement-side Tipton Town at Wellbeing Park.

Manager Matt Smith wasn’t pleased with his side despite scoring four goals for the second week running: “It was a good result, but the performance wasn’t great. I was a bit disappointed at how we conceded our goals, and that is a bit frustrating when he had a poor start to the season that hit our goal difference, but we showed good resilience to come back from that.”

“It was our first league game for three weeks so it was important to get three points. We have won four out of our last six in the league, so hopefully we can build on that.” Added smith.

Alleynians dominated the early exchanges and took the lead through Ben Lewis, as a Paul Griffiths cross eluded everyone in the box and was returned to the area by debutant Ollie Ritchie, the ball fell to frontman Lewis, who swivelled and volleyed home from ten yards.

But this goal led to complacency in the home side, and invited pressure from the visitors, who were eventually rewarded for their efforts, as a clever pass in the inside left channel was cut back to the Tipton striker, and his finish wrong-footed Matt Burslem in the Stone goal.

Stone restored their lead on the brink of half-time following a good spell of possession, midfielder Danny Heard picked out the run of left back Ollie Davies, who cut inside onto his right-foot and fired low into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

The visitors started the second half brightly, and drew level almost immediately, when a quick switch of play found the right winger in acres of space, and he raced into the box and calmly rolled the ball past Burslem.

Carl Dibden came close to restoring the lead for the hosts when he broke clear, but was thwarted by a last ditch tackle from the recovering Tipton defender as he looked to pull the trigger.

But Adam Heath did put the Old Boys back in front, Griffiths corner wasn’t properly cleared as Davies and Heard combined to put the ball back into the box, and centre back Heath smashed the ball home, via a number of ricochets.

Heath came close to his third goal in two games when he narrowly headed over whilst stretching to meet another Griffiths corner.

Grant Bigham added a bit of comfort to the score line with his first goal in seven years, as he showed a poachers instinct to turn the ball home from two-yards following great play from Sam Wilson.

Burslem, Sinclair, Heath, Whalley, Davies, Griffiths (c), Heard, Wilson, Ritchie, Dibden (Bigham), Lewis (Kay)