Trysull 0-3 Stone Old Alleynians

Stone Old Alleynians cruised into the final of the JW Hunt Cup, with an emphatic victory over fellow West Midlands Division One side Trysull.

Two goals in two second half minutes from Carl Dibden and Luke Askey, and an injury time Adam Tomkinson goal saw the Old Boys reach the final for the first time, an achievement which delighted manager Matt Smith.

“It’s fantastic for us to reach the final and we can put that in the bank now and concentrate on the league. We played well tonight and deserved the result. It’s great for everyone involved and we will look forward to the final in May.”

“We know it’s going to be a tough game, as all the remaining clubs are in higher divisions, but we have beaten a lot of clubs from higher leagues already this season, so we have a chance.”

Smith, who is in his first year in charge of the Stone side, was quick to pay thanks to the fans.

“We had some good support last night who had travelled and they really helped, with the final being at Molineux we hope to have a good following for it.” added Smith.

It was an opening half that reflected the magnitude of the tie. Both sides struggled to find rhythm and control the game. A loose pass in the Alleynians midfield lead to a scramble in the penalty area, whilst at the other end Matt Thomas went close with a low drive, and Danny Heard was inches away from turning home two excellent crosses.

But it was in the second half when the game came alive. A clever pass from Thomas saw Tomkinson through on goal, and when his shot was saved it was recycled to Chris Heard on the edge of the box, and his shot was diverted into the back of the net by striker Carl Dibden.

And within minutes it was two, the Old Boys won a free-kick thirty yards out from goal, with Tomkinson setting the ball down, the quick-thinking Luke Askey curled the ball into the far corner as the Trysull keeper tried to organise his wall.

The double blow seemed to kick Trysull into life. Sending on a target man, their game plan was clear, but the central defensive partnership of Askey and Ian Whalley dealt with everything that was thrown at them.

There was one nervous moment for Alleynians however, when a Trysull free-kick was sent into the area and cleared, the Old Boys defence stepped up, but as a second cross came in, a Trysull attacker found himself unmarked in the six-yard box, only to head over.

The game was sealed in injury time, when the impressive Dibden went clear down the right, his initial shot was saved, but the rebound fell kindly to Tomkinson who calmly rolled the ball into the back of the net.

Stone OA: Paglia, Thorley, Askey, Whalley, Taylor, Griffiths (c) (Matthews), Thomas (Sinclair), C Heard, Tomkinson, D Heard (Hodgkinson), Dibden     Unused Sub: Hewitt

Next fixture v Shenstone Pathfinders (A) 28/3/15